Sunday 10 March 2013

QUESTION ONE- In what ways does your magazine use, develop, or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?





USE, DEVELOP, CHALLENGE




Layout- 
USE: I have used the same general layout as a typical kerrang cover. Kerrang covers have a ‘big’ image in the centre, which covers the masthead slightly- they have a small barcode and text on the header and footer of the page.  I have done so by placing my image in the centre also, with my cover lines kept in a single column down one side.
DEVELOP: On kerrang and other rock magazines for a poster special the images are usually lined up in a rectangular box- however I have changed this slightly. I have put the ‘poster’ images in a square box and overlapped them slightly, as this still has a ‘feel’ of Kerrang but is however slightly different.
CHALLENGE: Kerrang keeps all cover lines to one side. I have put one of my cover lines on the right, and put it in a black box so that it stands out. All of Kerrangs cover lines are kept ‘together’ and are very simple, and so me doing this is something very different and unusual- however it still fits in with the genre well.

Colour- 
USE: I have used a similar colour scheme to Kerrang- Kerrang uses predominantly red and yellow, and so I have also used these colours.
DEVELOP: I have stuck to the three colour rule by using yellow and red like Kerrang but I have also used more black than Kerrang as I believe this fits to the genre and makes things stand out more.

Images- 
USE: The main image on Kerrang is very close up, so that the facial expressions can be seen with ease, so I also shot my image in a way facial expressions can be seen clearly.
DEVELOP/CHALLENGE: Kerrang used a close up, where as I used a medium close up shot- by doing so you can see the mise–en–scène but the ‘closeness’ remains the same on both covers. The person used on my main image is wearing a red shirt, and this fits in with the colours used, and so I thought that this being seen was important.

Story-
USE: Kerrang puts the artists name central, so that we see this is the main point- I have also done this so that this is what people are drew to and know who the story is actually about.
DEVELOP: Under the artists name Kerrang uses a quote from the double page spread, however I have used a more ‘broad’ statement “Answers All” as this still suggests that the interview will reveal a lot and makes you want to read more but does not give too much away.
CHALLENGE: Kerrang uses text above the artists name to draw readers in. In the issue I used mostly for inspiration Kerrang uses “the people vs” then the artists name, by doing so this creates more of a sincere and interesting vibe. I have however not put anything above the artists name, I have left this blank and straight to the point, so that readers will be engaged and want to know what the double page spread is actually about.

Fonts and Font sizes- 
USED: The cover lines on Kerrang are written in a very simplistic font, and so I did this with mine also- I used a small font that still stands out in order to get this affect.
DEVELOP: For the main story Kerrang has used a simple, regular font that is a large size, I however used a large font that is in a ‘bubble’ kind of effect, and is very bold- this still shows the artists name in a similar way, however presents it a little differently.  
CHALLENGE: The masthead on Kerrang is very spaced-out and large, it seems to be ‘damaged’ as it has marks through the text. On my cover I have changed this, as I have used a simpler font, where the text is all together, and very bold. This still fits in with the genre of rock, but does not look the same as Kerrang. 








Layout- 
USE: Kerrang uses a big image to the right at the top of the contents page, with an example of what is going to be in the magazine to the left. The text comes under this as a ‘separate’ section. I have used the same layout as this, as I have put my main image to the right, a ScreenGrab of my double page spread to the left and my contents underneath.
DEVELOP: Where Kerrang would usually use one ScreenGrab to the left, I have changed the layout slightly by putting only one- this meant that the layout had to be altered so that it didn’t look too plain. Kerrang has a small ‘tab’ which shows something the magazine contains to the right, I altered this by placing mine to the right.
CHALLENGE: Kerrang has a column to the lower left side of the page that shows something written by the editor of the magazine, I however have done this to the right, so this means my columns have a slightly different layout to Kerrang.

Images-
USE: The main image on Kerrang is usually a close up shot, and so you can see the person very clearly- I used this general idea by using a shot type that shows the persons facial expressions.
DEVELOP:I used a medium close up shot instead of a close up, so that you could see the prop I had used. This is slightly different to Kerrang as this is not how artists are usually presented.
CHALLENGE: The only mise-en-scène Kerrang uses is the costume the artist wears, and so I decided to add in a prop of a guitar, and so this makes the two contents pages differ.

Colour- 
USE: Kerrang uses Red, black and yellow, and so I used the black and red as I believe these are the two colours that stick out more.
DEVELOP: Instead of using a lot of yellow, I used dark backgrounds and used white text, as this goes with my cover more, meaning the two are therefore more similar.
CHALLENGE:By changing to two colours (and white) this is very different to Kerrang, as Kerrang usually sticks to the three colour rule.

Story-
USE: Kerrang shows what the page is about briefly, and then under some develops this further, and so, I have also done this to show the reader more on what the article is about.
DEVELOP: Kerrang uses more images than I did, and so, I included more text to fill the blank space. I did however keep this worded and presented in a way Kerrang would, and so it is not completely different.  
CHALLENGE: Kerrang uses nine headings to show the different columns- I have however used fewer, and so the stories differ slightly.

Font/Font sizes-
USE: Kerrang uses the same large text to show the words “contents”  to the top and “this week” in the middle. I used this as I ensured that I used the same font for both of these things on my contents page also, as this makes it appear to be very Kerrang like.  
DEVELOP: Kerrang uses a bold font to show the stories so that they stand out. Instead of using bold I used a larger text in arial, as this still made the stories stand out but was not identical to the font in Kerrang.   
CHALLENGE: Kerrang used a very simple font to show the “contents” and “this week” text. I used the font 28days later, meaning the font is very unique and different to the font that Kerrang uses. 





-->
Layout-
USE: Kerrang has the columns to the left of the page, and image on the right. The main quotation/title is in the top left corner and so the layout is quite simplistic. I have used this layout as I have put my image on the right, with my columns and title on the left.
DEVELOP: Kerrang used up a lot of space with the picture on the right, I however used a smaller image and so had to alter the layout slightly to make my double page spread appear professional.
CHALLENGE: Kerrang has a lot of blank space, however I wanted to produce something different to this, and so I had to place my image and columns in a slightly different way to Kerrang. For example, I have added a third column where Kerrang has blank space (that is part of the image.)

Images-
USE: I have placed the image I have used to the right, which is the same as how Kerrang has presented their image as well.
DEVELOP: Kerrang is using a band on their image, however I have used one artist (who is part of a band.)
CHALLENGE: Kerrang has used a shot type that allows you to see all of the artist’s faces and expressions, as well as their clothing. I have however used a close up shot and have framed it tightly. My artist is covering their face as this ties in with my story, which is very different to Kerrang.

Colour-
USE: The Mise-en-scene used in Kerrang matches to the colour of the fonts. Gerard Way has red hair, and so the main heading is in red. I have used this as I have added red font that matches the red shirt my model is wearing.  
DEVELOP: Kerrang has the whole heading in the colour red, however I used mostly white, and just added red on key words as this is different and draws the reader in.
CHALLENGE: Kerrang used a mainly white font on a black background, however I have used red- this is very different to Kerrang however is still fitted to the genre and matches my magazine well. 

Story-
USE: A quotation from the text is written in the top left hand corner of Kerrang, and I have used this also. Kerrang used a quotation that really stood out, and so I used a snippet from my story that does also.
DEVELOP: Kerrang uses a lot of ‘slang’ and naturalistic language, and so I have tried to do this also but have made some of the language more appropriate for my target audience.
CHALLENGE: Kerrang used an interview that was discussing a band, however my story was in a Q&A format for one person, and so this is completely different to Kerrang.

Font/Font Sizes-
USE: Kerrang uses a large font for the title/quotation. I have also done this by using the font 28 days later, as it stands out in a way a Kerrang magazine would.
DEVELOP: Kerrang does not have a question and answer set up, and so I had to interpret what this would be like if it was one. I have used a similar font (Times New Roman) to what Kerrang has used through the interview to give my double page spread a feel of Kerrang.
CHALLENGE: Kerrang used quite a small font for the interview, however I wanted to use something that stands out more, with more edge. And so I used size 12 Times New Roman to achieve a look that fits with the genre but is not the same as Kerrang.


No comments:

Post a Comment